Signal uses your Android phone's contact list. See steps below to make changes to your Android phone contact list and then resync and refresh Signal. If you do not see the names of your contacts, make sure to remove unnamed contact entires.
Edit your contact's number
- Open your Android phone contacts app and edit this contact entry.
- Add the + and the country code to your contact's number.
- For numbers from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the number should start with +5521.
- For numbers from Mexico, the number should start with +521.
- For numbers from Argentina, the number should start with +549.
Resync your contacts
- Go to Android Settings.
- Choose Accounts.
- Choose Signal.
- Tap on the Menu.
- Choose Remove Account. The alert of clearing data is incorrect, your messages will not be deleted.
- Open Signal.
- Tap on the message compose icon .
- Tap on the Menu or .
- Choose Refresh.
Remove unnamed contact entries
- Go to Android's contacts app.
- Scroll to the bottom to look for contacts with a # icon.
- Delete all "#" contacts at the end of the contact list.