Each Signal conversation has a unique safety number. The safety number gets stored the first time you exchange a private message with a new contact. You will be alerted if a conversation's safety number ever changes. This can happen if someone else is pretending to be them, or if they get a new phone and reinstall Signal.
To view and verify your safety number in a direct conversation
- Open your conversation with just that contact.
- If you see an alert of a safety number change, then the new safety number is displayed through the alert and you can tap or click on the alert and skip to step 5.
- View conversation settings.
- On iOS or Android, tap on your contact name to show the conversation settings.
- On Desktop, choose the menu option.
- On iOS or Android, long press on the numerical digits then choose copy to clipboard and share with your contact OR choose the share icon in the top right and choose how you'd like to share.
- On Desktop, highlight the safety number and copy, then share with your contact.
- You can choose to share through another app or mode of communication.
- On iOS or Android, electronically,
- Long press and copy the safety number shared by your contact.
- Long-press on YOUR safety number or use the share icon in the top right and choose "Compare with Clipboard."
To view and verify a group contact start a one-on-one conversation first. The safety number is not visible in group conversations.
The safety number on your phone should match those on your contact's phone. If the safety number is identical then you can be sure that you are communicating with the right person. If the safety number does not match, then make sure you and your contact are using updated versions of Signal, open a conversation with just that contact, and then try again.